dolphinling lists at dolphinling.net
Tue Aug 29 23:49:27 PDT 2006

Michel Fortin wrote:
> (Note that everything applying to normal lists in this message could
> also apply to definition lists and tables.)
>
> The ongoing thread about a global href attribute versus a block-level
> <a> element made me think of a similar situation concerning <ins> and
> <del>. How can we markup removed or inserted list items? Here's a
> general idea:
>
>     <ul>
>     </ul>
>
> But this is invalid. According to the spec the content model for <ul> is
> "zero or more <li> elements".
>
> Changing this to allow the above markup has consequences on the DOM: for
> instance we could no longer iterate on the content of a list element and
> expect to catch all of its list items.

What's more, it's not backwards compatible. I would *love* it if it were
(especially because then fieldset could also go there, and repetition template
attributes wouldn't have to apply to all elements), but current UAs turn

I suppose it could be made valid in XML and left explicitly undefined in HTML
with a big red flashing warning to authors not to use it as it'll probably
change in the future, and then in 5 years or so it'll be possible to change
it... But that would be icky. And that assumes there's not already legacy
content that uses it. :(

> To avoid the problem <ins> and
> <del> could be made global attributes as some have suggested for href.

That would fail when you just wanted to remove a few words from a paragraph. And
having both an element and an attribute would be confusing and, again, icky.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>