[whatwg] Editorial comments on WebApps 1.0 section 9.1.2

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Dec 1 08:49:42 PST 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> The contents of the element must be placed between just after the start
> tag (which might be implied, in certain cases) and just before the end
> tag (which again, might be implied in certain cases).
>
> I wonder about the "just after" and "just before". Is there something in the
> middle that is not just after and just before?

I guess not.

> I think it might be clearer to state, "The contents of the element must
> be placed between the start tag (which might be implied, in certain
> cases) and the end tag (which again, might be implied in certain
> cases)." or "The contents of the element must be placed after the start
> tag (which might be implied, in certain cases) and before the end tag
> (which again, might be implied in certain cases)."

This seems like minor word quibbling. We're not even remotely stable
enough yet to worry about minor wording issues like this. :-)

> and what about the word "placed"? That seems to suggest that one could
> put this content somewhere else. I think of it more as the placement
> defines what is and is not the content so how about,
>
> "The content of the element is all the text between the start tag (which
> might be implied, in certain cases) and the end tag (which again, might
> be implied in certain cases)."

That has no normative conformance criteria (it's just a definition). That
might be a useful definition if we were defining a parser, but here we are
defining a serialisation format, so what's important is to give the
conformance criteria for authors writing documents.

Thanks for the feedback,