[whatwg] PaceEntryMediatype

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Dec 1 15:40:22 PST 2006

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> 2006/12/1, Ian Hickson:
> > On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> > >
> > > A summary of my problem with HTML5's autodiscovery: - there
> > > shouldn't be a 'rel' value for "subscribability", subscribability is
> > > a matter of whether and how an UA can process content from a
> > > particular media type
> >
> > Agreed. The spec doesn't mention subscribing, just that rel=feed means
> > it's a syndication feed.
>
> And what is a "syndication feed", if not something that's
> "subscribable"?
>
> I mean, there is no definition of "syndication feed", neither of "feed
> autodiscovery" (what's the purpose of "feed autodiscovery", if not to
> subscribe to such feeds?)
>
> In that sense, I really do think the spec is mentionning subscribing.

Oh. If you just mean that you don't think there should be a way to say
that a particular document is a syndication feed, then I disagree. I would
assert that the popularity of feed readers such as Bloglines, Google
Reader, and so forth, is evidence that many other people find this feature
useful as well.

> With my "proposal", existing content would still be found by "feed
> autodiscovery", it would just be "semantically incorrect" in many cases
> (from an "entry" page, when linking to the feed containing the entry
> with rel="alternate"; the feed is not an alternate to the entry; the use
> of rel="alternate" was just a hack to "display the orange icon").

So you're proposing making the hundreds of millions of existing instances
of syndication feed links non-conforming?

That seems about equivalent to closing the barn door after the horse has
bolted, as they say.

> [...]
>
> I hope I clarified my opinion.

Actually I'm even more confused now than before. Could you propose exact
normative replacement text for the specification that would make you
happy? In doing so, please consider these constraints:

 * We cannot define anything to do with the user interface, only the
   meaning of the link relationships, because user agents must be allowed
   to innovate in user interfaces (basically, only interoperability can
   be ensured, not homogeneity).

 * We don't want to break existing practices. If something is
   interoperably implemented and widely used, then it should continue to
   work in the same way.

 * The specification should be kept as simple as possible.