[whatwg] xml:lang and xmlns in HTML

Robert Sayre sayrer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 19:31:18 PST 2006

> Aaaaah! Sorry, I hadn't understood this. So, to put it another way, you
> want a way to introduce author-specific semantics into your HTML
> documents?

Almost. I want to understand why non-HTML5-defined semantics would be
harmful. I don't think we're in danger of each web author inventing
their own elements.

> > <http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-December/008171.html>
> >
> > But it is a question, not a request. I don't want to request something
> > that would be harmful. So, what is the downside of the example in that
> > earlier email?
>
> Well, SVG itself would arguably be bad because it is poor from a semantic
> standpoint.

HTML is poor from a semantic standpoint. Doesn't bother me. I make
layouts with tables and headings with bold and lists with sequences of
surprised if billions of people are just like me. Is HTML5 going to
prevent me from authoring in that style?

> However, as far as generic author-defined semantics go, that's
> what the "class" attribute is for.  Microformats.org, for example, use the
> "class" attribute to introduce calendar semantics and the like into HTML.
> You take the closest fitting HTML element, semantically, and then augment
> it with your classes.

Yes, I understand those, and I think they might work. Why is it
harmful to allow the document I posted in the mail below as well?

<http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-December/008171.html>

> Introducing author-defined markup into HTML would be bad from a semantic
> and accessibility point of view because UAs would not be able to derive
> any meaningful information or default presentation from the content, and
> thus users would not be able to access the data.

Right, so no one will use those things unless browsers support them.
Is that bad?

--

Robert Sayre