[whatwg] markup as authored in practice

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Dec 2 04:25:39 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I think putting subtrees rooted at <svg> or <math> in the SVG and MathML
> namespaces respectively (and allowing /> to close elements while the
> tokenizer is looking at such a subtree) would be more forward-compatible
> with future SVG and MathML revisions. (Subtrees rooted at children of
> SVG <foreignObject> and MathML <annotation-xml> would be put in the
> XHTML namespace.)

Another important consideration: SVG and MathML are more likely to be
produced by some form of tool than by direct editing in a text editor.
(No that you can't do that, of course; but BBEdit's no substitute for
Illustrator.) These tools already exist, and they already use the
empty-element tag syntax and namespace attributes. I doubt these tools
would like to change to support two different serialization formats.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!