[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Dec 2 09:37:46 PST 2006

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> The Yellow Screen of Death is about as annoying as you can get.  I
> really don't understand how you can go on about the benefits of XML
> because it requires well-formedness, but then turn around and say XML
> can be served as text/html which just makes all your arguments null and
> void.

Perhaps because you believe the MIME type is a magic incantation that
somehow changes the document's nature, and I don't.

The document is what it is. A sequence of bytes is either a well-formed
XML document or it isn't. I can call it XML, but that doesn't mean it
is; and I can say it's not XML, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!