[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Dec 4 03:50:30 PST 2006

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I'll name the difference of XHTML_all and XHTML_compatible as
>> XHTML_incompatible. Lachlan gave examples that indicate that
>> XHTML_incompatible is not empty.
>
> I'm sorry but may I please ask for a reference? I unfortunately don't
> know where to find that needle in the haystack. Or did you mean Ian
> Hickson?: http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

No, he meant the list of examples that demonstrate the kinds of errors
millions of authors make when attempting to use XHTML as text/html.

http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-December/008272.html

FWIW, that list was based on this old article of mine which has a lot
more information and discussion in it.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/12/xhtml-beginners

>> This means that you lose any benefits that hinge on you only having
>> to ensure targeting XHTML_all.
>
> That benefit is so huge it can't even be easily calculated.

What benefits are there and what makes them so huge?

http://www.w3.org/mid/44FD9995.60301@lachy.id.au

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/