[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Dec 4 08:10:18 PST 2006

Le 4 déc. 2006 à 6:10, Mihai Sucan a écrit :

> However, in the same "spirit", a middle way for those who want
> XMLiness in HTML, would be to allow the xmlns:?.* attribute,
> xml:base, xml:id, and xml:lang. Yet, define them as meaningless.
> Just for validation purposes, just for helping people who do such
> things on the server-side.

I disagree. I think xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/html" is fine in
HTML because it just states what is already implied. But I think
allowing attributes with no meaning to validate will just reenforce
the idea that they are meaningful. If you use them, fine, but you'll
have a validation error there that will warn you that this is no HTML.

I know I suggested xml:lang before, but that was when I thought it
was parsed in HTML. Now I think a more clever approach would be to
allow html:lang to validate in XHTML, because XHTML already mandates
that html:lang be taken into account when determining the language.

As for xml:id, why not use "id" purely and simply? It works with both
HTML and XHTML anyway.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/