[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Dec 4 15:13:52 PST 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Ian Hickson wrote:

> It also doesn't work that well. I'd be interested to see what happened
> in IE if the SVG used the SVG 1.2 <textArea> feature. Or if it used the
> SVG <text> and <tSpan> features.

Case in point:

   http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/12/01/The-White-Pebble

In IE, there's some stray "XHTML HTML" and "XHTML HTML XML" text. This
isn't acceptable to most people. It certainly isn't something that it
would make sense to encourage. The worst possible outcome here would be
for browsers like IE to start trying to parse this "SVG" in text/html,
because the lack of any sensible parsing rules for it would guarentee that
we're faced with even more "tag soup", thus undoing all the work that the
HTML5 spec is trying to do to get us past that.