[whatwg] Content Model Restrictions on table>tr in HTML

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Mon Dec 4 19:28:02 PST 2006

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>How do you propose to organise it instead? The XML, HTML, and CSS
>specifications quite clearly show that organising it so that the syntax
>and the parsing rules are defined in the same prose leads to serious
>deficiences (HTML forgot to define parsing altogether, CSS failed to
>give a number of error handling rules, and XML doesn't define how you
>get a tree from the markup).

That's post hoc ergo propter hoc and proof by example with rather weird
examples. If HTML does not define parsing rules at all it can hardly be
an example for how defining syntax and parsing rules in the same prose
leads to deficiencies. The draft under discussion is a better example,
section 9.2 defines syntax and parsing rules together. I may be able to
make additional suggestions once someone showed me an example of HTML
syntax where a 'p' element has a 'pre' child element.