[whatwg] Authoring tools (was Graceful Degradation and MimeTypes)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 03:30:15 PST 2006

Michel Fortin wrote:
>> I would tend to think that people would say
>> well-formed XHTML is too much trouble, not
>> HTML or pseudo-XHTML served with text/html.
>> But that's not really better.

You misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying (necessarily) that XHTML was
better than HTML. I was sauing that one is better than two.  As I've said
elsewhere, if XHTML were in essence deprecated in favor of HTML5, that would
be okay too.

>> I don't like the word "convergence" as you use it:

It's my usage of the word. I get to use it as I like. ;-)

>> because we cannot change how HTML or XML is
>> parsed there cannot be any real convergence.

Seriously though, I'm referring to the need to maximizing the common subset,
and possibly even make it viable for X(HT)ML to be evolved in the future for
a closer fit.  But I think Ian has addressed many of my concerns by now.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/