[whatwg] Microsoft Expression Web

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 04:10:03 PST 2006

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Microsoft released Expression Web yesterday:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/expression-web/features.mspx
>
> The narrator for their video for "Standards-based Web Sites" says "XHTML
> builds upon the HTML standard that allows a larger percentage of browsers to
> properly parse and display your document."

That sentence is highly misleading. "XHTML" has nothing to do with allowing "a
larger percentage of browsers to properly parse and display your document"; the
fact that the product seems to support using a subset of CSS that specific
groups browsers render interoperably, and the fact it some built in validity
checking are much more likely to be useful in that regard.

> I'm wondering if you guys seeing Expression Web as a Good Thing(tm) for the
> web, or a Bad Thing(tm) for the web?

I suspect it's just a thing. Without using it, but assuming they ate their own
dog food, it doesn't look like it enforces validity (or even well-formedness)
[1]. But maybe the fact that it has the ability to flag errors will cause some
developers who are hooked on the Microsoft koolaid to fix problems they
otherwise wouldn't have bothered with.

[1]
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fproducts%2Fexpression%2Fen%2Fexpression-web%2Ffeatures.mspx