[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Dec 5 15:56:00 PST 2006

Le 5 déc. 2006 à 17:03, Ian Hickson a écrit :

> The "one target" now is HTML5.

I wonder about one thing though. If the recommended serialization is
HTML5, why is there new features which are simply not supported by
HTML5 (list inside paragraphs, nested forms, etc.)? My impression is
that while HTML is recommended in the prose, the new features are
implicitly recommending XHTML.

Recommending using the HTML format while making XHTML more powerful
at the same time just strike me as incoherent. This makes it look
like XHTML is the future and that HTML is a temporary and limited
recommendation to keep backward compatibility. That's what I
understand while reading the spec as a whole. If that's not what is
intended, then maybe something should be done about that, like
removing some of the incompatible features.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/