[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Tue Dec 5 17:11:10 PST 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:

> But not withstanding the SVG and MathML content, which isn't compatible
> with IE anyway (being ignored at best, and causing bad markup at worst),
> there are features that Sam can't use because of his constraints, which he
> could if he was using just HTML5. (Like document.write(), which is
> required for things like Google Analytics today, I believe.)

I don't see any documentation that requires XHTML to not support
display.write, but it certainly is a reality that nobody has done so.

Luckily the DOM is malleable to the extent that I could fill in that gap
if I want to.   In fact, you can find the logic to get Adsense working
in XHTML by following the links from here:

   http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/11/10/Thats-Not-Write

But the fact is that I rather like the fact that my website costs are
funded by IE users.  Most of my friends never see an ad served from my site.

- Sam Ruby