[whatwg] WA1: Link type "index"

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Tue Dec 5 20:22:10 PST 2006

I believe the 'index' link type definition isn't quite right, considering
prior definitions of the term[1]. It seems to me that 'index' would be more
appropriate, given its prior definitions, for linking to things like CSS2.1's
list of properties (Appendix F).
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

I think that for the hierarchical root, 'top' (which was defined in HTML 3.2)
is more appropriate, both historically[2] and by virtue of its English
semantics.

I also think that 'contents' and 'toc' should not be equated with 'top' because
they are not always the same thing. I would expect 'toc' or 'contents' from
   http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_DOM_Reference
to link to
   http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_DOM_Reference
but 'top' to link to