[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:09:44 PST 2006

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
>> An interesting idea, but I don't see how Google would benefit from this.

1.) If the web get cleaner, it's easier for search engines to inspect
documents
2.) If Google doesn't benefit from a better web, why would they pay Ian to
edit the HTML5 spec?

>> On the other hand, it requires effort,

Everything worth doing requires effort.

>> and it would set Google somewhat at war with owners of numerous corporate
websites whose image would be spoiled.

Google is already at war with everyone who is not #1 in a search engine
result and wants to be.  What I proposed would be totally objective -- it
use a standards validator -- and the corporations with websites would be
totally in control to fix any problems found with their not following
standards.  Google would see no fallout from this that would affect them
negatively; instead they'd become a hero to some people that are very
difficult to please.

And if these corporations were using content management systems that didn't
produce standards-based code, you can bet those CMS vendors would soon have
a new #1 priority, but fast.  And THAT would clean up the web quicker than
any academic or grass roots effort ever could.

Anyway, it's always easy to say something won't work, especially if when no
alternate proposals are presented.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/