[whatwg] References from the spec to wiki pages (was: Provding Better Tools)

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Wed Dec 6 16:08:56 PST 2006

Le 6 déc. 2006 à 04:35, Alexey Feldgendler a écrit :
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:30:36 +0600, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>
>>> A specification cannot refer to something as volatile as a wiki
>>> page.
>
>> Actually, it's already doing that in another section.
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#other
>
> I think it's inappropriate there as well. How can a spec refer to a
> wiki page which can be edited by anyone and is, in general, out of
> sync with the spec itself?

just as a side note. A traditionnal Web page can be edited as often.
The thing which makes a document stable is not the tools behind, but
the process associated with this document.

	- versioning (cvs), dated space, serial number, etc.
	- normative/informative relationships
	- community back-up. is it the document of one particular community,
more than one communities, etc.

Specifications are built on social process and they got their value
from and by this social process.
It is perfectly fine to disagree with some principles of community
building, but not with the nature of the document itself. :)

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***