[whatwg] Test cases for parsing spec (Was: Re: Provding Better Tools)

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Wed Dec 6 21:55:07 PST 2006

Sam,

Le 6 déc. 2006 à 23:13, Sam Ruby a écrit :
> My original interest was to write a replacement for Python's
> SGMLLIB, i.e., one that was not based on the theoretical ideal of
> how SGML vocabularies work, but one based on the practical notion
> of how HTML actually is parsed.

I'm not sure sgmllib would be the best target. Specifically if it's
used in many other products. But maybe you are talking about a new
library altogether.

     http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sgmllib.html
     8.2 sgmllib -- Simple SGML parser

     This module defines a class SGMLParser which serves as the basis
for
     parsing text files formatted in SGML (Standard Generalized Mark-up
     Language). In fact, it does not provide a full SGML parser -- it
only
     parses SGML insofar as it is used by HTML, and the module only
exists
     as a base for the htmllib module. Another HTML parser which
supports
     XHTML and offers a somewhat different interface is available in the
     HTMLParser module.

It seems a better candidate.

     http://docs.python.org/lib/module-HTMLParser.html
     8.1 HTMLParser -- Simple HTML and XHTML parser

      New in version 2.2.

     This module defines a class HTMLParser which serves as the basis
for
     parsing text files formatted in HTML (HyperText Mark-up
Language) and
     XHTML. Unlike the parser in htmllib, this parser is not based on
the
     SGML parser in sgmllib.

I'm adding them to the list of HTML parsers.
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTMLAsSheAreSpoke

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***