[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 7 18:37:25 PST 2006

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> > Your assumption seems to be that the interoperable handling of HTML
> > documents is to somehow abort processing. This is not the case. Each
> > error has explicitly defined error-recovery behaviour.
>
> My mentioning of parsing abortion stems from
> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing>, which
> says:
>
> "The error handling for parse errors is well-defined: user agents must
> either act as described below when encountering such problems, or must
> abort processing at the first error that they encounter for which they
> do not wish to apply the rules described below."
>
> Maybe I'm misinterpreting it?

Well, user agents have the choice to abort processing, that's true. But no
Web browser would do that, they'd all follow the error recovery rules. The
allowance for aborting is really only there to allow conformance checkers
and data mining tools to abort processing (e.g. if they are used in
environments where there shouldn't be any errors).