[whatwg] Reserved class names

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Dec 8 09:00:32 PST 2006

The spec says:

> A document must not use a class defined in the Wiki on an element
> other than the elements that the Wiki says that class name is
> allowed on.

Does that mean that conformant documents can suddenly become non-
conformant because a class it uses has been added to the Wiki with
somewhat different semantics?

I have nothing against registering class names, but in some cases it
doesn't make any sense to register class names you're only using
internally, and it'd be a bad thing if they were to clash with
predefined ones. But in practice, I'm not sure it matters much.

  - - -

Also, two minor errors in the spec:

* There is a link to the predefined class "example" in the
description of <figure>, but it does not lead to the right class.

   <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-figure>

* Class name "error" is defined twice: as 3.5.1.2. and 3.5.1.3.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/