[whatwg] Common Subset

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Dec 8 13:15:45 PST 2006

Replying to myself...

Le 8 déc. 2006 à 8:48, Michel Fortin a écrit :

> <noscript> and document.write()
> workaround: create nodes programatically and avoid the use of
> <noscript>.

Another noteworthy problem with the common subset about scripting is
that it's really impractical to write some idioms. You can't have any
instance of "<" or "&" in a script without throwing the document
outside of the common subset: HTML requires them to be unencoded,
XHTML requires them to be in a CDATA section or escaped as < and
&. The CDATA solution would probably work in HTML, although it'd
make the document non-conforming.

This applies to inline <style> too. It does not apply to external
scripts and stylesheets.

(Note: I'm not asking that any of this be resolved, I just think that
it's noteworthy.)

I've added this to the wiki page about the common subset:
<http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Common_Subset>

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/