[whatwg] Standard DOM Serialization? [was :Common Subset]

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Sat Dec 9 16:57:33 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2006, at 02:09, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> I am asking whether there is interest in identifying ONE standard
>> serialization that everybody who wishes to comply with could do so.
>
> Why? For digital signatures? For comparing parse trees from different
> parsers?

My train of thought started with the sharing of test cases, and when
coupled with the discussion on the common subset; when put together I
was wondering if there would be a relation between the two.

I (obviously) hadn't considered innerHTML.  *IF* there were interest in
changing this (something which I presume is *NOT* the case) and *IF* a
common subset between XHTML5 and HTML5 was viable (plausible but not
certain) *THEN* the confusing difference in meaning between innerHTML in
an XML and HTML context could be resolved.

All told, seems rather unlikely, so nevermind.

- Sam Ruby