[whatwg] microformats incompatible with WebApps 1.0 ?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Dec 11 18:25:46 PST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> Suggestion: we could allow the profile attribute on any element? The
> profile would apply only to the concerned element and its descendants.
> So this:
>
>     <head profile="http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile">
>      <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a>
>
> could become this:

>      <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a>

Given that nobody does the former, why would anyone do the latter? Bear in
mind that to all intents and purposes, the page looks and works exactly
the same with or without the profile. Also bear in mind that enough
content exists that doesn't use the profile="" attribute that
implementations will always look for content regardless of its presence.

> In addition, we could maintain a global registry of short names for
> profiles, so that we could write this as a shortcut:

>      <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a>
>
> And since profiles can now be applied on individual elements, there's no
> real need to keep the redundant "vcard" class name since it could easily
> be implied by the profile being specified on that element:

>      <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a>
>
> How is that?

It's one step away from:

      <a class="url fn" href="http://tantek.com/">Tantek Çelik</a>

...which would work just as well, and has the added advantage that it is
compatible with how hCard is used today.

> > > What worries me most about the Wiki idea is that it'll make
> > > conformance to HTML5 a moving target that would need to be
> > > reevaluated each time a new class is added on the Wiki.
> >
> > How is this different from conformance to HTML5 + profile-specified
> > extensions?
>
> What's different is that you have to care about conformance only to the
> profile you're using, and no other. When new profiles are created,
> adding new classes and link types, you know they won't bother you.

Except that in practice they will, because if suddenly your class name
clashes with a new class name, regardless of whether we have "profile" or
not, processors looking for that class name will start treating yours as
one of theirs.