[whatwg] finding a number...

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Tue Dec 12 22:32:07 PST 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:51:32 +0530, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2006, at 15:36, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>> I think the format should be kept simple (and potentially politically
>>> incorrect), because the human-readability is only a legacy fallback
>>> issue. That is, users aren't exposed to the number formatting in UAs
>>> that actually implement progress bars and gauges.
>>
>> You might also want to use this algorithm for the proposed
>> class="price". In that case you really want to take into account "," as
>> well.
>
> What would 2,500 mean? Would it mean two and a half or two-thousand-
> five-hundred?

In english it generally means two thousand five hundred. In french, it
invariably means two and a half, to an accuracy of one in a thousand.

> How can this be dealt with without making the parsing dependent on lang
> and requiring the UAs to implement all-encompassing CLDR-aware number
> parsing?

It can't. But why bother making a standard that so clearly fails to work
in major world languages? Everything should be as simple as possible *and
no simpler* - this is too simple. Maybe assuming you can parse numbers out
of text is just a dumb idea as a normative part of a spec.

cheers

Chaals

chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com