[whatwg] finding a number...

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Dec 13 04:24:16 PST 2006

Le 13 déc. 2006 à 6:14, Thomas Broyer a écrit :

> Note that the <meter> description reads (as an "Authoring
> requirements" !!!):
> "The recommended way of giving the value is to include it as contents
> of the element, either as two numbers (the higher number represents
> the maximum, the other number the current value), or as a percentage
> or similar (using one of the characters such as "%"), or as a
> fraction."
> And the <progress> description reads:
> "Instead of using the attributes, authors are recommended to simply
> include the current value and the maximum value inline as text inside
> the element."

I find this recommendation misguided too. In fact, it should say the
contrary: it should say that it is recommended to also put the
numbers in attributes for non-english documents because the parser is
only capable to handle the english format. That may sound a little
dumb, but that's because it is, and I fully support making the
attributes mandatory.

At the very least, I think find-a-number should be limited to integer
numbers. But even then it'll be limited to languages using our
western digits and possibly not suitable for full internationalization.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/