[whatwg] Semantic styling languages in the guise of HTML attributes.

Leons Petrazickis leons.petrazickis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 07:35:02 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
> >    A "semantic styling language" would be a language to assign semantics
> > to elements in a manner similar to how CSS controls their presentations.
>
> FWIW, it seems that a better term for the concept you describe would be
> "semantic binding language", since presentation isn't actually involved
> anywhere. In the same vein CSS would be a "presentation binding language" and
> XBL roughly a "behavior binding language". Having said that, I'm not sure I
> follow the point that you are trying to make.

I think what's wanted is a Cascading Semantics Language. Its syntax
could be based on CSS. For example:
.masthead {
  type:heading;
  strength:high;
}

.division {
  type:heading;
  strength: normal;
}

.flow {
  type:body;
  strength:normal;
}

.aside {
  strength:weaker;
}

Behaviours, script bindings, etc could be mixed into this.

Regards,
--
Leons Petrazickis