[whatwg] <p> in <dialog>

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:04:37 PST 2006

Michel Fortin wrote:

> markup for something like this would require closing <dialog> each
> time an action paragraph is added and reopening it afterward.
> Wouldn't it make more sense to allow regular paragraphs in <dialog>
> for situational information and action descriptions?

Maybe. Or perhaps the narrator/stage descriptions should be part treated
as another interlocutor. Or perhaps we need an element (<action />,
<stage-direction />, <narration /> ?) for such descriptions; which
should be capable of being both block and inline. You can have short
stage descriptions actually intermixed with dialogue. Here's a good
example from Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/790

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis