[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 00:13:21 PST 2006

Spartanicus wrote:
> "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Google, Yahoo and MSN aren't in the business of enforcing a
>>> standards- compliance agenda.
>>
>> Who is?
>
> A better question to ask would be "to whom does it matter?".

Is it really relevant to give your opinion of my grammer?

> SE's have nothing to gain from markup validity.

Of course they do.  Better markup makes the results of their web page
analysis more accurate, especially when semantic markup is involved.  That
can lead to better search engine results.

> They should serve up results relevant to their users,

Again, you state "should" as if you are quoting from an authority. In a free
market, I'm not aware of such an authority except in limited cases where I
don't see that this applies.  So "should" is just your narrow viewed opinion
which is no more "correct" than my broader viewed opinion.

>> And at the risk of sounding snarky, can you point me to a reference
>> where is it codified that they are not (at least partially) in the
>> business of standards?
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tech.msn.com
>
> Should give some indication.

This only indicates that they don't observe standards themseleves, not "what
business they are in." "Cobbler's children go barefoot," as they say.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/