[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

James Bennett ubernostrum at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:00:30 PST 2006

On 2/4/06, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
> While there are many JavaScript implementations (I even wrote one myself
> a few months ago), all the custom JS implementations count for exactly
> zero native implementations in UAs, which is what really counts.

I'm not sure what relevance that has; if you look at the major UAs out
there, one (IE) is pretty much stagnant, and the rest don't implement
a whole lot of new features unless those features are found in a W3C
WHATWG spec. So UA implementations aren't currently a fertile ground
for spotting new and useful things to put on a standards track.

And really, after all these years of harping at browser developers to
stick to the standards, are we now going to cut off innovation by
saying we'll only look at new ideas if they've been implemented by
browser developers without previous standardization? That seems like
one heck of a big catch-22 to me, and looks like it'd leave a lot of
good ideas out in the cold because they've "only" been implemented in
JavaScript.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin