[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:24:59 PST 2006

On 2/5/06, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > On 2/5/06, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > DOM 3 XPath is of course only defined for XML, whilst it's no trouble
> > defining it for valid HTML, it's not currently, for this reason I
> > would prefer just having a CSSSelector method and not bothering with
> > an XPath one, defining XPath for HTML is a bit of a pain - indeed I'm
> > not completely confident it's possible on an invalid HTML document
> > until after the document has finished loading.
>
> In practice it works fine in Mozilla for HTML which, given it's DOM
> functionality, isn't so surprising since both XML and HTML end up
> constructing a DOM.

"in practice" isn't really good enough for a specification any more,
it was when HTML 4.01 or DOM 1 or DOM 2 or CSS 1 or CSS 2 came out, it
is no longer, and specifications are actually getting proper reviews
now.

I think it would be better to just leave XPath in HTML unspecified -
wish individuals and UA's luck if they want to try to use it on HTML,
but don't try and help them too much.

Jim.