[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 07:14:18 PST 2006

> I can certainly see myself speccing a getElementsBySelector() API as part
> of Selectors 2. But either way, the spec for gEBS is simple; it returns
> the same type as getElementsByTagName(), it is accessible from Document
> and Element nodes and selects a subset of the descendants of that node, it
> takes a single argument (a string representing a selector), its first
> version doesn't support namespaces, and it raises an exception SYNTAX_ERR
> if the string can't be successfully parsed by the UA.

If this is anywhere in the near future, I'm all for dropping
getElementsByClassName() in favor of this broader solution. But if
this is high in the sky and won't be seen for years to come, I'll take
the former sooner.

What will it take to kick start the process for
getElementsBySelector()? I suppose a few browser implementations would
be good fuel.

--
Brad Fults
NeatBox