[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Feb 23 18:28:38 PST 2006

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > For example, what is the resulting DOM of this document:
> >
> >  <title>Foo</title>
> >  <script type="text/javascript" src="bar"></script>
>
> For this, there is no implied body, as there is no element to imply it.
> SGML rules apply here, as they are expressed in the DTD, and I don't
> think HTML 5 should change them.  The resulting DOM will be the same as
> that for an HTML 4 document, which is:
>
> html
> |
> +-head
>   +-title
>   +-script

HTML5 also causes a <body> to be implied. My understanding actually is
that in HTML the <body> is required, and so always implied (though it
cannot be empty, so the document above would be invalid, and technically
behaviour is undefined by HTML4 and SGML specifications).

> > Is there a BODY element in this document (or, is there always a body
> > element?):

> >   body{ background:lime }
> >
> > ... or this:
> >
> >  <title>Bar</title>
>
> No, there is no implied body element in either of those fragments.

In HTML5, there is. In HTML4, it's undefined.

> Run all of your examples through the validator, with the the Show Parse
> Tree option selected and see for yourself.  The rules for an HTML 5
> document will be the same as HTML 4.

There are exceptions, mostly for backwards-compatibility reasons, but no
particularily important ones as far as authors are concerned.

HTH,