[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Sander Tekelenburg tekelenb at euronet.nl
Sun Jan 1 07:45:26 PST 2006

At 01:03 +0000 UTC, on 2005/12/31, Ian Hickson wrote:

[...]

> If we're trying to solve the problem of _sending_ the data twice

We're not.

>, that is
> easily solvable, by using rel="" on <a> elements instead of <link>
> elements.

Yes, but only if browsers would support display:meta.

> If we're trying to solve the "problem" of displaying the link
> navigation twice (once in the page and once in the browser UI) then I'm
> not convinced that's a problem, or that we should be solving it.

It's a problem because it wastes valuable screen space and as long as it does
waste valuable screen space there is not enough incentive for Web publishers
to bother to offer something like LINK or nav {display:meta}.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>