[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Sander Tekelenburg tekelenb at euronet.nl
Sun Jan 8 20:45:06 PST 2006

At 01:01 +0000 UTC, on 2006-01-09, Ian Hickson wrote:

[...]

> I'm not convinced that authors feel that screen space is valuable, or
> that they would want to hide their navigation if the navigation was
> integrated into the UA's chrome.

Authors can only suggest presentation, in the end the *user* decides on it.
That's the essence of the Web. Thus we should not be thinking merely about
what authors want, but at least as much, and probably more, about what users
want. If a user-agent supports display:meta, the user can decide to apply
that to NAV whether the author likes it or not.

> Nor am I convinced that if it was
> integrated into the UA's chrome in a usable fashion, that it would take
> less room than it would if styled by the author of the page.

It wouldn't need to take up *any* room.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>