[whatwg] <CENTER>, <MENU>, <DIR>, <NL>

Eugene T.S. Wong lists.eugenetswong at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:00:46 PST 2006

Hi all.

I'm interested in bringing back some of the old elements that still work.

I'd like to recommend that the WHATWG bring back <CENTER> because it
provides an excellent way of saying "this is a centered <DIV>". <DIV> is
no more semantic that <I>, <B>, or <CENTER>, yet they have their uses.

I believe that they are useful for visual user agents, in that we don't
have to provide a class name for simple uses. Generally speaking, <CENTER>
should be used sparingly, if at all, but it should be used. <CENTER> could
be used for resume headings and various other types of text, like peotry.

I'd like to recommend that the WHATWG bring back <MENU> & <DIR>, because
these elements have semantic meaning and don't significantly affect how
the list is presented. The lack of significant effects means that the
legacy browsers will still be able to make use of the elements. The good
thing about creating more semantic list elements, is that they create a
greater diversity, standardization and detail, without requiring
enhancements to UA technology. You could make any type of a list and it
would work. The default styling may not be what you want, but it would
work.

I'd like to recommend that the WHATWG standardize <NL>. I suggest this
because <NL> is shorter than <NAV> and because <NL> is consistent with
XHTML. As I typed the previous sentence, I noticed that <NL> is much
easier to type with 1 hand, than <NAV>.

I'd like to recommend that the WHATWG bring back the <FON...um, never
mind. ;^)

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,