[whatwg] Dealing With <DFN> In Interactive Elements

Eugene T.S. Wong lists.eugenetswong at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:48:05 PST 2006

> A UA could do that, but such implementation details do not belong in the
> spec.  The spec should bascially only define the semantics and
> functionality, but leave the implementation details to each individual
> UA.

Lachlan & James, I think that I see what you are saying. That makes sense.
Thanks.

On a slightly unrelated note, the spec says, "should be presented in such
a way that the user can jump from the element to the first dfn element
giving the defining instance of that term". I guess my concern is with the
word "should". Shouldn't the word "should" be used no matter what
situation? Shouldn't the UA present the content in a way that highlights
both opportunities? If so, then why does it say, "and that has no
interactive elements or dfn elements either as ancestors or descendants,
and has no other elements as ancestors that are themselves matching these
conditions, should be presented in such a way that the user can jump from
the element to the first dfn element giving the defining instance of that
term". In other words, what if it does have *those types* of ancestors or
descendants?

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong