[whatwg] <CENTER>, <MENU>, <DIR>, <NL>

Eugene T.S. Wong lists.eugenetswong at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 00:19:18 PST 2006

Hi all.

I forgot who asked for real world examples of using <CENTER>. I think that
it might have been Anne, but unfortunately, I deleted the email already,
and thus can't reply to it.

Here is an example that I'm working on now. I'm trying to make a
flyer/brochure to hand out to businesses after talking to them. I hope
that they will consider giving me merchandise to use as prizes for a poker
club that I'm trying to start. There is absolutely no intent for me to
post this on the web. I may do that in the future, but definitely not in
the foreseeable future. The content is changed, but hopefully it'll make
sense.

<CENTER>Marketing Opportunity</CENTER>

<DIV><H1>What I Want To Do</H1>
<P>content describing poker club that I'm trying to set up...lorem
ipsum...</P>
</DIV>

<DIV><H1>What I Would Like You To Do</H1>
<P>content describing what I'm asking the businesses to do and how I
intend to give them value for giving me their products or gift
certificates to be used as prizes...lorem ipsum...</P>
</DIV>

<DIV><H1>Misc. Info</H1>
<UL>
<LI>location</LI>
<LI>time</LI>
</UL>
</DIV>

<ADDRESS>
<UL>
<LI>my name</LI>
<LI>my contact info</LI>
</UL>
</ADDRESS>

[note: I admit that my coding style may be unusual]

The example is overkill to demonstrate just 1 line of code, but I want to
strongly emphasize through demonstration that <CENTER> is used very
sparingly and only on specific locations. In this case, it is used as a
title.

I refuse to use <H1> as a title, based on my own principles that there can
be only 1 title, just as there can be only 1 document root. There can be
multiple headings, but not mulitiple titles for each document.

Web sites can contain many pages, and thus many page titles throughout the
site, but there shouldn't really be more than 1 title throughout each
site's page. If the designer wants to lower the status of the text from
title to heading, then it should be possible to do so, but in that case it
would be a heading, and not a title. For example:

<H1>Catalog</H1>
lorem ipsum...
<H1>News</H1>
lorem ipsum...
.
.
.
etc.

Typically, those 2 chunks of content would have their own pages, and
probably their own directories. However, for a very small organization
with very little changing content, it would be very reasonable to have it
all on 1 page.

I hope that clarifies things.

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,