[whatwg] <CENTER>, <MENU>, <DIR>, <NL>

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Wed Jan 18 22:54:32 PST 2006

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Either <div> is going to be in HTML 5 but has yet to be specified (like
> <object>), or it's not going to be in HTML 5 but is incorrectly used in
> some examples. If the latter, that will make certain the semantic-free
> fates of <section> and <p>.

AIUI, HTML 5 will inherit everything from HTML 4 Strict, except for some
selected presentational elements/attributes and, I suspect, the few
attributes that are widely unsupported (e.g. char and charoff for table
cells).

Div is required, there is sometimes no other alternative.  It's not
presentational, though it's not particularly semantic either and unless
it's used with semantic attribues like lang and dir, it's purely
structural.  But the semantics available with the other elements can't
possibly cover every possible use case and div is sometimes the only
choice without resorting to abusing another semantic element.  Although,
such cases will be reduced significantly now that we have the various
sectioning elements.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/