[whatwg] Comment Syntax and Parsing

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sun Jan 22 02:44:26 PST 2006

Quoting Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>:
> Firstly, Ian, could you please clarify what exactly made you change
> your mind about this issue, after seven years of pushing (mostly)
> proper SGML comment handling and which eventually resulted in 5
> implementations (Mozilla, Safari, Opera, Konqueror and Prince)?

I'm interested in that as well.

> I assume, of course, this now means that all of those browsers will
> soon, if not already, be removing such support?

Opera is working on it. Though as pointed out earlier I would like to
have some
more clarifications on how exactly comments are supposed to be handled.

> What about the empty comment declaration: <!> ?  I've never seen
> anyone use it (except in test cases), and I tested it with your new
> live DOM viewer tool and these were the results:

Per the specification it would be an empty bogus comment.

> Opera 9/Win:     CRASHED!
> Opera 9/Mac:     CRASHED!

Interesting. Note that these are not final versions. (Newer internal versions
don't have this crash and do the same as Opera 8.5. As in, not exposing it in
the DOM.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>