[whatwg] comment parsing

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jan 22 19:33:16 PST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I don't understand these security concerns.  How is reparsing it after
> reaching EOF any different from someone writing exactly the same script
> without opening a comment before it?  Won't the script be executed in exactly
> the same way in both cases?

The difference is that a sanitiser script would notice a <script> element,
but would not notice the contents of a comment. Comments are considered
safe, the publisher would not expect the contents of a comment to suddenly
be invoked.

The comment could be, e.g.:

   <!--

     Let's hope nobody ever manages to sneak this into our site through a
     cross-site scripting attack!:

        <script> doSomethingEvil(); </script>

     That would be terrible!

     Oh well. There's no way they could aCONNECTION TERMINATED BY PEER