[whatwg] Comment Syntax and Parsing

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Jan 23 00:38:45 PST 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 05:23, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Probably the same as XML. Or maybe just "<!--" followed by zero or
> more
> characters other than U+0000, followed by "-->".

Of those two choices, I prefer the former. I don't like the idea of
expanding the set of conforming comments, because I think having
conforming comments should maximize the backwards-compatibility of
the comments (and there are browsers in the wild that implement SGML-
style comments, which is incompatible with the latter alternative
above).

I think allowing paired double hyphens with whitespace in between and
allowing whitespace between the ending "--" and ">" would make sense.
This would improve the source-level upgradeability of valid HTML 4 to
conforming HTML 5. However, it would have the old confusion issues.

<!-- I think this should be conforming. -->
<!-- Making --   -- this conforming would make sense as well. --   >
<!-- IMO, this -- should not be conforming but should parse
unambiguously with an easy parse error. -->

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/