[whatwg] Definition of alt= attribute

dolphinling dolphinling at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 24 03:06:18 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2006, at 18:43, dolphinling wrote:
>
>> Second, it could force authoring tools to produce invalid documents
>> if the author did not provide any alt text. However, those  documents
>> would be non-conformant anyway, so this is not a huge  problem.
>

> It is. Authoring tools are judged by taking a page authored using the
> tool and running it through the W3C Validator or, presumably in the
> future, through an HTML5 conformance checker. Authoring tool makers  who
> are capable of making their tool produce syntactically conforming
> documents will want to do so and minimize the chance that the users  of
> their software tarnish the reputation of the tool in the eyes of  people
> who use an automated test as a litmus test of authoring tool  bogosity.
> (People who test tools that way will outnumber the people  who make a
> more profound analysis due to the "validate, validate,  validate"
> propaganda.)

File -> Save

"If you save this page as is, it will be non-valid for the following
reasons:

     You did not specify alternate text for one or more images.

The page will display properly, but will be less accessible to some
users and will fail automated validation tests.

[Fix errors]  [Save anyway]"

...The point being that that would only be a problem to authoring tools
that didn't do something about it--and frankly, I'd expect an authoring
tool to give a dialog like that anyway, even if they weren't concerned
about market share.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>