[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Wed Jan 25 05:15:58 PST 2006

Simon Pieters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>
>> However, there may be a 5th option available.  Consider this, using
>> the following markup samples from the article.
>>
>> 1.
>>
>> BODY
>>   + P
>>     + EM
>>       + #text: X
>>     + #text: Y
>
> Why would you drop the first EM? Why should this be parsed any different
> than 4? I think it should look like this instead:

Because there were no text nodes between the <em> start-tag and the <p>
start tag, so putting it in there would be completely redundant and
useless.  Although putting it there will have no detrimental effect
beyond wasting a minuscule amount of memory, so it really doesn't matter.

>> 2.
>>
>> BODY
>>   + P
>>     + EM
>>       + #text: X
>>       + #text: Y
>
> Why are there two text nodes?

Copy & paste error.

> I don't think there's much advantage of differentiating between
> "well-formed" and "malformed" markup. They should be parsed the same to
> parsed as:
>
> BODY
>   + EM
>   + P
>     + EM
>       + #text: XY
>
> ...IMHO.

Agree; but again, the empty EM element is redundant.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/