[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Jan 25 09:11:30 PST 2006

On Jan 25, 2006, at 17:17, Billy Wong wrote:

> Sorry.  I don't notice that this is invaild.  I am new here.  What
> makes inline-level element not feasible to contain block-level
> elements??

The HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD. Gecko and WebCore try to force the
document tree to be a sane Transitional document tree.

> I should change my line to "break things that are not well-formed
> instead of those well-formed"

I think it is perfectly OK for residual style to kick in when there
are block elements inside inline elements in text/html even if the
document was well-formed when parsed as XML.

> First, my idea would not, and should not, break the whole web.  If it
> is really deployed, it would only break webpage that are not
> well-formed in this particular way.

That's a large chunk of the Web.

--
Henri Sivonen