[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Jan 26 08:16:36 PST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:09:44 +0600, Anne van Kesteren
<fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

>> The simplest, and actually the one being discussed:
>>
>> <em>
>> </em>
>>
>> Why not? These two paragraphs are highlighted with emphasis. What's
>> wrong  here, in the semantical sense?

> <em> has never been defined in a way that it could give entire paragraphs
> emphasis. I'm not really saying anything is wrong about it, just that
> has never been defined. Also, <em> was defined to be inline-level
> (nothing
> to do with presentation) in HTML4 which means that it could not contain
> block-level (again, apart from presentation) elements so parsers did
> funny
> things on error recovery.

This confirms the point that the classification of elements into
block-level and inline-level is just a convention not backed by a semantic
requirement. Well, it establishes a rule about the valid and invalid
element nesting, which does help error recovery. But as we are discussing
the very error recovery at this time, maybe we should review this rule if
it helps build a saner DOM for some pathological but widely used markup?

--
Opera M2 8.5 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station [ICQ: 115226275] <alexey at feldgendler.ru>