[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest.responseXML and invalid XML documents

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 31 10:59:00 PST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:

> Suggest removing the unsupported character encoding statement from this
> sentence. The spec should say that when an unknown character encoding is
> used the UA should assume UTF-8 and move on with parsing.

Absolutely not. That would violate the XML specifications.

> This is what Opera and FireFox do (consistently) and what IE does but
> only for responseText. IE creates an empty responseXML document if
> charset is unknown.

What IE does is much closer to correct here.

(I've saved off your e-mail for when I eventually look at XMLHttpRequest
again, but I wanted to respond to the above straight away since it affects
important aspects of browser conformance.)

Cheers,