[whatwg] Spellchecking mark III

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 02:49:19 PDT 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>> If, however, we're really just talking about adding words to the UA
>> dictionary temporarily and for a specific site, couldn't we just do that
>> with <meta> using the same format as we do with keywords?

>> |  content="HTML5, WHATWG, WF2, WA1, WD1, CSS3-UI, TARDIS, ZPM, DHD">
>>
>> Are there actually situations where different controls would need
>> different vocabulary?!?
>
> That's an interesting idea, but I'd shy away from doing this for now.
> Let's start small and build up...

   I don't think the actual example is that complicated, seeing as it's
pretty much a syntactic copy of <meta name="keywords">. All you'd really
have to do is take the words it contains and temporarily append them to
the UA spell checking (or autocomplete) dictionary.

   Also, upon further thought, setting vocabulary for specific controls
shouldn't be hard either:

In the <body>:
| <textarea name="message" vocab="textarea1"></textarea>

   I'm probably missing something obvious, but there it is.