[whatwg] Where did the "rev" attribute go?

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Wed Jul 5 09:50:37 PDT 2006

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> What happened to the "rev" attribute?

The problem with the rev attribute is that it's difficult for authors to
understand the concept of a reverse link relationship; and compared with
rel, it's hardly ever used.

There's only one use of rev that I'm aware of which is listed on
microformats.org.  It's for vote-links, but I don't think those
relationships should be used anyway.

> Neither the <a> or <link> element seems to have it anymore...

I think it should still be present, but it's semantics would need to be
clarified and explained.  We should probably also identify some real use
cases where it is actually useful for authors.

> The "rev" attribute is important for allowing what I call "opaque
> semantics".

Can you more clearly define what you mean by "opaque semantics"?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/