[whatwg] Where did the "rev" attribute go?

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 11 12:03:48 PDT 2006

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello Matthew,
>
> That clears things up a bit.
>
> But, if the intent is to really get rid of confusion then....  There's
> actually 2 things I noticed confuse people.
>
> #1: That the label you pick for the "rel" (or "rev") needs to be a
> noun.  (I do understand why... at least I think I do... so that you can
> use the same label in the "class" attribute.  But it makes things
> difficult for some people.)

   I don't know what you mean about |class|, since it seems redundant.
Furthermore, |rel| has predefined semantic value in HTML 4.01, whereas
|class| has user-defined and/or proprietary semantic value at best.

   However, you are correct that it needs to be a noun, because it's the
_name_ of a relationship.

> #2: That "rel" (and "rev") represent a relation between the two.  Often
> people seem to want to "classify" what's at the end of the "href".
> (Instead of specifying a relation.)  Perhaps a new attribute is needed.
> Perhaps "hrefclass".

   I would think something like "linktype" would be more appropriate.
That said, |rel| is pretty much already corrupted to mean that, and if
we introduced another attribute for the purpose of link types, it would
either go unused for backwards compatibility reasons or it would
supplant both |rel| and |rev|.