[whatwg] Where did the "rev" attribute go?

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Jul 13 08:20:53 PDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 17:57, Robin Lionheart wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> And then what? Why is it useful that a computer knows that a
>> string on a Web page is a human name?
> Off the top of my head, a couple possible benefits of tagging
> proper names:
>
> * smarter search engines
>    (<name>Bill Gates</name> is not the words "bill" and "gates".
> Could be beneficial to newspaper sites.)

For the search engines internal to news sites this could be
implemented using a private extension if it was deemed worth the
trouble.

As for general search engines, this isn't really a problem. If I
Google for "bill gates", I get results about Bill Gates--not about
invoice stages or something similarly contrived. And I am pretty sure
that if Google or a competitor wanted to do something smart with
names on Web pages, they'd be better off seeding a guessing machine
with phone book data than by insisting that everyone change their
markup.

> * speech synthesis
>    (Surely there's a good reason CSS3 Speech has "interpret-as:
> name" and VoiceXML has interpret-as="name")

"The interpret-as property has been temporarily dropped until the
Voice Browser working group has further progressed work on the SSML
<say-as> element."
...says the latest CCS3 Speech WD.

I don't see interpret-as="name" in VoiceXML 2.0 or 2.1.

> * spell checking
>    (Usable by Web page editing software)

Spell checkers work just fine without knowing what words are names.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/